Healthcare providers are faced daily with the complex and constantly changing Federal and State rules and regulations. The Baker Newman Noyes (BNN) healthcare consulting team recognizes that providers need and desire affordable and timely education and information resources. We offer a range of targeted sessions and programming to individuals and groups, online or in person, across the continuum of care.
Our team of experts can provide education on the following topics:
- Physician Chart Review and Education
- Medical Coding (Certified Professional Coder Certification) - Sign Up Today
- Evaluation and Management Services (E/M) (Code Assignment and Validation)
Our team also authors articles on numerous healthcare topics. These can be viewed in our library.
Proper coding is essential for medical billing compliance and can dramatically impact reimbursement. Our coding reviews are designed to provide a summary of data quality, documentation, accuracy and assignment. At the conclusion of our review, findings, recommendations and issues will be communicated in a written report. Subsequent to this, we will provide on-site education with provider specific chart audit results and E/M coding criteria.
Our approach to practitioner education emphasizes on the individual needs of the physician/non-physician practitioner. We understand that the focus of these encounters is patient care and that the medical record, first and foremost, is a patient care tool. The medical record/encounter must also be a coding, billing and compliance tool. The education that we offer reflects this understanding and concentrates on coding documentation requirements and methods which practitioners can employ to document what they do and how that documentation translates into code selection. We view this as a vital component of the process.
In summary, BNN’s approach to physician dialogue is educational rather than punitive. We use the reviewed records to demonstrate strengths and weaknesses during our one-on-one sessions with providers. By utilizing this approach, physicians and staff can easily relate to the education.
The BNN Healthcare Consulting Division offers an online course on Medical Coding in preparation for Certified Professional Coding (CPC) Certification. This self-paced course, developed by the AAPC, will take students through the 2016 Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®), International Classification of Disease (ICD-10-CM), and HCPCS books to address proper use and proper coding. This course is intended to educate students on rules of coding and prepare them for the AAPC Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Exam.
BNN’s program is available on an open enrollment basis, so there’s no waiting for a new session to begin. You can get started anytime and progress through your studies independently, at your own pace.
The CPC Medical Coding Course at BNN is 100% online for your convenience. Through online study you will access your study guides and online course materials from your computer.
Click here to download the enrollment form. Instructions for submitting the form are included on page two (2) of the document.
Click here to access our Frequently Asked Questions about the online Medical Coding Course.
Baker Newman Noyes (BNN) offers a course on evaluation and management (E/M) code assignment and validation.
To provide you with an understanding of:
- Evaluation and management (E/M) code assignment
- Understand the elements of an E/M code
- Understand the rules of E/M services
- Principles of medical record documentation requirements
- Review documentation basics and formatting of chart notes
- Review documentation guidelines
- How to conduct a medical record chart review (audit)
- Understand details for the medical record review process
- Properly review the medical record using tools provided
- Analyze and report results for reporting and education
- Documentation principles/requirements
- Overview/introduction to 1995 vs. 1997 E/M Guidelines
- History, exam, medical decision making
- Determining type of patient/type of service
- Review of common modifiers
- Hands on coding validation exercise with presentations
- Review importance of an E/M validation process
- Overview/Introduction to
- Split/Shared E/M services
- Incident to services
- Teaching physician services
- Scribe services
- Basic knowledge of E/M principles
- Experience and knowledge of chart auditing or E/M coding recommended
- Coding certification NOT necessary
1. General Awareness
This session is designed to increase awareness and provide an understanding of the impact to your organization.
- Provide an overview of the current state of ICD-10
- Review recent regulatory decisions and industry perspectives
- Raise awareness and understanding of challenges that ICD-10 brings to the healthcare industry
- Provide techniques, best practice and helpful hints as you begin the ICD-10 transition
2. ICD-10 CM/PCS
This program is designed to educate staff responsible for healthcare coding, billing and reimbursement professionals in the organization and structure of ICD-10-CM (diagnoses) and PCS (procedures). It compares ICD-9 with ICD-10 chapter specific coding examples and explains the changes between the two coding conventions and guidelines. This program also provides training with the application of ICD-10-CM/PCS codes.
The objective of this program is to provide a comprehensive overview of ICD-10-CM/PCS coding and its components. The program will provide clients with a working knowledge of ICD-10-CM/PCS coding used in the healthcare setting. Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in hands-on coding exercises to gain practical coding experience and learn the concepts associated with coding.
- Learn the requirements of ICD-10 coding conventions
- Apply definitions and guidelines to determine correct diagnosis and procedure codes
- Gain an understanding of the clinical information defining disease processes in order to assign appropriate codes to these conditions
- Understand the similarity and differences between ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes
- Apply knowledge of coding principles by assigning accurate and precise diagnosis and procedure codes pertaining to all body systems
- Build on experience gained in coding scenarios for inpatient and outpatient settings
- Identify documentation/chart improvement opportunities
3. Documentation Analysis
The focus of provider documentation analysis is review of medical records and identifying key areas of risk relative to ICD-10-CM documentation.
- Review sampling of provider records for ICD-9-CM primary and secondary code assignments
- Compare and cross walk to ICD-10-CM code(s)
- Identify documentation deficiencies for reporting the most specific ICD-10-CM code
- Provide feedback and education tailored to providers and organizations
4. Anatomy and Physiology
This program is designed to provide coding and HIM professionals with a basic and fundamental background in the anatomy and physiology of the various organ systems in the human body, including pathophysiology. The course is designed to follow the same progression as the accompanying text, Advanced Anatomy & Physiology for ICD-10-CM/PCS. Class material will be in the form of slides and handouts.
- Review structure and function of all body systems
- Provide education to enhance understanding of common diseases and disorders of the various body systems
- Review medical terminology and commonly performed diagnostic tests and procedures including commonly used medications
Janet Hodgdon, CPA, CPC, AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer, Director
Margaret Fortin, CPC, CPC-H, CHC, AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer, Senior Manager
Gina Hobert, MBA, CPC-I, CHC, CEMC, AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer, AAPC ICD-10-CM Instructor, Senior Manager
Dianne Rodrigue, PA, MHP, CCDS, CPC, AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer, Manager
For more information about any of our educational offerings, please contact the BNN healthcare consulting team at 800.244.7444.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
Maggie began her career at Baker Newman Noyes in 2005, after having worked as a director of operations for a regional Medicare fiscal intermediary. She is a Senior Manager in BNN’s Healthcare Management Consulting Division specializing in Medicare operational areas including claims, customer service, provider education, secondary payor, provider reimbursement and business systems.
Gina specializes in medical billing and coding education, provider education, chart auditing, billing and coding compliance, provider-based practices and billing, chargemaster reviews, and risk adjustment documentation and coding.