Final Repair and Maintenance Regulations Are Issued

Stan Rose, Managing Director, Tax Practice
September 2013

Last year, Baker Newman Noyes Tax Principal Andy Smith informed us of some very significant new tax rules that impact whether certain outlays to acquire, maintain or improve tangible property will be deductible in the year incurred or subject to depreciation over the tax life of the acquired asset.  Those articles can be found here and here.

As is often the case with complex and wide-reaching law changes, the Treasury Regulations that make up these rules were issued in temporary form, and clarifications followed.  Last Friday, the “temporary” status of the rules was removed, some more changes were made, and the Regulations were issued in final form.  Here is an article penned by tax experts at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause that will be of use to our readers who are interested in the outcome of these rules.

These regulations represent some of the biggest changes we have seen in recent tax laws, and they offer some unique planning opportunities that can greatly accelerate tax deductions for taxpayers who incur costs to acquire, maintain or improve property.  We encourage you to become familiar with them.  If you have any questions, please contact your Baker Newman Noyes tax professional or Andy Smith.

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP and Baker Newman Noyes are independent members of Baker Tilly International, the world’s 8th largest accountancy and business advisory network.

Disclaimer of Liability: This publication is intended to provide general information to our clients and friends. It does not constitute accounting, tax, or legal advice; nor is it intended to convey a thorough treatment of the subject matter.

Pursuant to requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any tax-related matter.  Please contact us if you wish to have formal written advice on this matter.