Carl Chatto, CPA
Carl is an audit principal at Baker Newman Noyes. He also served as the director of audit services from 2014 to 2016. Carl has been with the firm since it was formed in 1995, having previously worked with one of our predecessor organizations since 1983.
Carl provides assurance and business advisory services to banks and financial institutions and in 2015 was instrumental in leading the firm’s merger with the external audit and tax practices of community banking firm Shatswell MacLeod & Company. Additionally, Carl works closely with clients regarding employee benefit plan issues to ensure compliance with Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service regulations. He also serves clients in the governmental and educational sectors.
A graduate of Bentley University, Carl is actively involved in several professional and community organizations. In addition, he regularly speaks on matters related to: employee benefits, financial services and technology, mergers and acquisitions, internal controls and risk management, and board governance. He has been featured in numerous publications including Accounting Today, INSIDE Public Accounting, Mainebiz, and The Portland Press Herald, among others.
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member & Past President, Maine Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Board Member, Maine Board of Accountancy
Volunteer / Service Activities
- Treasurer, Maine Historical Society
- Panelist, Mainebiz CEO Breakfast Forum, October 2016, “Sustaining a Stable and Successful Corporate Culture”
- Speaker, USM Corporate Partners, January 2016, “Leading Mergers & Acquisitions with Integrity”
- Speaker, FMS 2014 Boston Chapter and Massachusetts Bankers Association Conference, January 2014, “Accounting and Tax Roundup”
Hobbies / Other
Carl is a baseball fan and enjoys traveling. He is also a student of history. He is married with one son.
- Reporting Back: 2018 AICPA Banking Conference
- A “Bright” New Tax Credit
- FASB Issues Guidance on CECL
- FASB Accounting for Loan Losses
- Trends in Bank Director and CEO Compensation
- Regulatory Guidance on Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOCs) Nearing their End-of-Draw Periods
- Deferred Compensation – Tax, Accounting and Regulatory Considerations
- Income Tax Allocation Agreements
- Round-up of Recent Accounting Developments
- FDIC Releases Basel III Capital Estimation Tool
- Trends in Bank CEO and Director Compensation
- More Accounting Changes Coming
- Proposed New Credit Loss Model
- The FDIC Offers More Guidance on Loan Losses and Problem Loans
- Accounting Changes Coming in 2012
- 5 Recommendations for Mobile Computing Devices in the Workplace