1. General Awareness
This session is designed to increase awareness and provide an understanding of the impact to your organization.
- Provide an overview of the current state of ICD-10
- Review recent regulatory decisions and industry perspectives
- Raise awareness and understanding of challenges that ICD-10 brings to the healthcare industry
- Provide techniques, best practice and helpful hints as you begin the ICD-10 transition
2. ICD-10 CM/PCS
This program is designed to educate staff responsible for healthcare coding, billing and reimbursement professionals in the organization and structure of ICD-10-CM (diagnoses) and PCS (procedures). It compares ICD-9 with ICD-10 chapter specific coding examples and explains the changes between the two coding conventions and guidelines. This program also provides training with the application of ICD-10-CM/PCS codes.
The objective of this program is to provide a comprehensive overview of ICD-10-CM/PCS coding and its components. The program will provide clients with a working knowledge of ICD-10-CM/PCS coding used in the healthcare setting. Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in hands-on coding exercises to gain practical coding experience and learn the concepts associated with coding.
- Learn the requirements of ICD-10 coding conventions
- Apply definitions and guidelines to determine correct diagnosis and procedure codes
- Gain an understanding of the clinical information defining disease processes in order to assign appropriate codes to these conditions
- Understand the similarity and differences between ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes
- Apply knowledge of coding principles by assigning accurate and precise diagnosis and procedure codes pertaining to all body systems
- Build on experience gained in coding scenarios for inpatient and outpatient settings
- Identify documentation/chart improvement opportunities
3. Documentation Analysis
The focus of provider documentation analysis is review of medical records and identifying key areas of risk relative to ICD-10-CM documentation.
- Review sampling of provider records for ICD-9-CM primary and secondary code assignments
- Compare and cross walk to ICD-10-CM code(s)
- Identify documentation deficiencies for reporting the most specific ICD-10-CM code
- Provide feedback and education tailored to providers and organizations
4. Anatomy and Physiology
This program is designed to provide coding and HIM professionals with a basic and fundamental background in the anatomy and physiology of the various organ systems in the human body, including pathophysiology. The course is designed to follow the same progression as the accompanying text, Advanced Anatomy & Physiology for ICD-10-CM/PCS. Class material will be in the form of slides and handouts.
- Review structure and function of all body systems
- Provide education to enhance understanding of common diseases and disorders of the various body systems
- Review medical terminology and commonly performed diagnostic tests and procedures including commonly used medications
- Gina Hobert, MBA, CPC-I, CHC, CEMC, AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer, AAPC ICD-10-CM Instructor, Senior Manager
- Dianne Rodrigue, PA, MHP, CCDS, CPC, AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer, Manager
For more information or to schedule a program for your team, please contact our healthcare advisory team at 800.244.7444.
BNN Events and publications are intended to provide general information to our clients and friends. It does not constitute accounting, tax, or legal advice; nor is it intended to convey a thorough treatment of the subject matter. The content included here is accurate as of the date it was published. Please contact Baker Newman Noyes for additional assistance.