James Guarino, CPA, PFS, CFP®, MST
Jim is a managing director in the tax practice at Baker Newman Noyes. He specializes in serving high net worth individuals and families as well as closely held businesses and their owners. Clients turn to Jim for trusted tax, financial planning, and wealth management advice and guidance, including tactical tax strategies, estate planning coordination and oversight, retirement planning, and gifting strategies.
Jim serves clients through a team approach, working closely with family groups and their board of professional advisors on overall family governance matters. He also assists owners of closely held businesses with succession planning, exit strategies, and retirement transitions.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim served as a tax partner and director of wealth and tax advisory at a Massachusetts-based accounting firm. He is a frequent speaker and author on a variety of tax topics and has been quoted in a number of national and local publications. He also serves as an adjunct faculty at Merrimack College where he teaches courses on taxation and financial planning.
Jim earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration, with a concentration in accounting, from Merrimack College and a master’s degree in taxation from Bentley University.
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, including the Tax Division and the Personal Financial Planning Division
- Member, AICPA CPA Ambassador Program – Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Member, Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Financial Planning Association (national and Massachusetts chapter)
- Massachusetts Society of CPAs Speakers/Writers Bureau Member
- Financial Planning Association Media Participant Member
- Executive Officer & Board Member, The Scholarship Foundation of Wakefield, Inc.
- Professional Advisor Committee Member, Essex County Community Foundation
- Former Volunteer - Exam Content Reviewer, CFP Board of Standards Inc.
- Former Classroom Volunteer and Presenter – Junior Achievement of Northern New England
- Former Officer and Board Member – Wakefield Basketball Association